There will always be a demand for ECDE teachers because everyone wants to have a kid of their own at some point in life.
And so you can opt to do an ECDE Diploma course after form 4, especially if you’re passionate about children- the ministry of education has set the ECDE Diploma as the minimum qualification for one to be employed as an early childhood teacher.
Below are the full Diploma in ECDE qualifications in Kenya and other important information about studying for an ECDE course including colleges offering diploma in ECDE in Kenya.
Let’s dive in:
Diploma in ECDE qualifications in Kenya- ECDE diploma requirements
Minimum entry requirements for diploma in early childhood education diploma in Kenya
To be admitted for the DECTE course (ECDE has been renamed Diploma in Early Childhood Teacher Education), you must meet the following requirements:
Diploma in ECDE qualifications in Kenya – academic entry requirements
KCSE Mean Grade: C Plain (or its equivalent). Note that there are no cluster subjects requirements so you qualify for admission as long as you have a C plain aggregate grade.
That said, candidates with disabilities are admitted with a mean grade of C Minus(-)in their KCSE or its equivalent- again there are no subject requirements.
Diploma in ECDE intake 2021
The first ECDE diploma intake 2021 has already been completed with successful students starting their studies in June.
However, kenyaeducationguide.com expects the ministry to have another intake for the course in the course of the year.
What you need to do if you want to apply is watch out for the recruitment advertisement from the ministry of education- they post it on the website www.education.go.ke and the main newspapers.
How to apply for diploma in ECDE course
Here is how the application process goes once the advertisement is published:
Step 1: Applicants should download the application form from www.education.go.ke first.
The other option -if you don’t want to go the download route- is visiting your CDE (County Director of Education) offices and requesting to be provided with the diploma in ECDE application form (hard copy).
Please note that you must present the following documents to the officials at the CDE office before you can be given the form:
- Original academic Certificates include KCSE certificate/result slip
- Original ID Card(or Original Registration Acknowledgement Slip for those who have just applied for their IDs).
These will be given back to you after the preliminary verification.
Step 2: Next, the applicant should fill in the form as specified (follow the instructions on the forms).
Step 3: Return your duly-filled forms physically to your Sub-County Director of Education Offices. You must do this on/before the deadline stipulated in the ad.
It is important to understand that you will need to attach all the important documents to the form before you return them.
Specifically, you must attach these documents/certificates to the form as you return it:
- 1 copy of the KCSE certificate/result slip(certified).
- Two passport-sized photographs(certified)- choose a photo that was taken recently (stay away from photo me photographs).
- 1 copy of the ID Card (both sides and they must be certified)/a certified copy of your Registration Acknowledgement Slip(A.R.A).
- 1 copy of the School Leaving Certificate(it must be certified).
- 1 copy each of any Co-curricular Activities Certificates you may have been awarded in the past (certified).
After that, these activities take place (on different dates):
- Merit Lists are Compiled at the Sub-County office– the applicants are shortlisted and entered in zone merit list.
- Zonal Merit lists are submitted to Ministry Headquarters– the lists of the candidates who made it to the merit lists are submitted to ministry headquarters by the sub-counties.
- Pre-selection activities– the selection panel spends some time performing some preparatory procedures before the final selection.
- Selection Exercise/Post_selection Activities– the panel will sit and select the most qualified and merited applicants. Admission letters are also prepared.
- Admission letters for successful candidates collected by the County Directors –the letters are collected by Directors for onward forwarding to Sub-Counties and respective educational zones.
- Candidates collects their ECDE Course admission letters– Successful applicants pick their admission letters (from the sub-county/zonal education offices).
- Reporting to college– Candidates report to assigned ECDE colleges.
Note: Applicants should register/apply at their home sub-county’s education office and must not register/apply in more than one center (this may disqualify you).
I should add that you can apply directly to a college if you want to study in a private ECDE college- the above procedure is for those who would like to join public ECDE colleges.
Colleges offering diploma in ECDE in Kenya
Here are some of the best colleges offering diploma in ECDE in Kenya (Public ECD colleges in Kenya and private ECDE Colleges):
- Bomet TTC
- Kenyatta University- School of Education
- Zetech University
- University of Nairobi –Kikuyu Campus
- Eregi Teachers Training College
- Premese Africa Development Institute
- Carlile College
- Shanzu TTC
- Nakuru TTC
- Kitui TTC
- Asumbi Teachers College
- Nyanchwa TTC
- Kaimosi TTC
- Thogoto TTC
- Kagumo TTC
How long does ECDE course take?
The duration for your DECTE Diploma shall be 3 (three) years.
During this period, the trainees are expected to take all the course units specified in the new DECTE Curriculum.
This shall include the Micro Teaching course- for a period of 3 months- which shall be a prerequisite for your Teaching Practicum.
The teaching practicum (or teaching practice as it is often called) shall itself take place for two school terms.
The new class of ECDE teachers is expected to play a major role in implementing the CBC program so there will be a lot of opportunities for trainees who stand out.
Employment opportunities are available in the public sector (county governments) and in the private sector (private schools, NGOs, etc.).
PS: Follow Kenya Education Guide on Facebook here for more educational tips and advice.