We tell you about the best catering schools in Kenya, qualifications, fees, intakes, and more in this article…
From hotels, restaurants and fastfood outlets, to offering catering management during events, a catering course provides you with skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in a variety of fields.
Below we list the best catering schools in Kenya you can go for your studies to gain in-depth understanding of the hospitality sector and become a professional caterer.
We will also indicate the fee, minimum requirements to be admitted, what to expect, and more.
Let’s get started:
Best catering schools in Kenya including where to study culinary arts in Kenya
These are some of the best places to study catering in Kenya:
Michuki Technical Institute
Michuki is one of the best public technical institutes you can study catering in.
Their catering and accommodations course includes lessons in critical areas such as laundry, housekeeping, food production, food service, and more making their graduates well prepared for the job market.
The college has a well-equipped housekeeping store, a laundry workshop, and food production (along with food service) workshops for training as well.
Students with a KCSE mean grade of D start the course at the certificate level (then progress to the diploma level) while those with a C- (at least) join diploma classes directly.
Tuition fee is Kshs.9000/- per term and the course is examined by KNEC.
The certificate course takes 2 years on average while the diploma goes on for 3 years (including industrial attachment).
Michuki Technical Contacts
NIBS is one of the private colleges offering catering courses in Kenya.
You can again take the KNEC-Examined Certificate course in Catering & Accommodation Operations or a Diploma in Catering & Accommodation Operations.
The entry requirements are similar to Michuki’s (as both courses are KNEC examined) while intakes are in January, April, June, and September every year.
The fee is, however, slightly higher than in Michuki and other public vocational and technical institutes.
NIBS College Contacts
Telephone: 0722 547746
Kenya Utalii College
Utalii doesn’t offer catering and accommodation pure but it has the following related courses:
- Food production (Certificate).
- Food & beverage service(Certificate).
- Hotel management course (Diploma).
- Food production- KCSE Aggregate D+ and C-(Minus) in English Language and D (Plain) in Mathematics.
- Food and beverage- KCSE Aggregate C- plus a C- grade in English C-
- Hotel Management- KCSE aggregate C (plain), English C+, Mathematics or Business Studies C- (minus) or other equivalent qualifications.
The courses take between 1 ½ years and 2 years (certificates) and 3 years (diploma).
Catering courses fees at Utalii
- Diploma in Hotel Management(3years)-shs.92,700
- Certificate in Food/Beverage Service/Sales- shs.82,700
- Certificate in House Keeping/Laundry(1 and half years)- shs.82,700
Utalii College Contacts
Location: Main Campus (Nairobi Campus), Off Thika Road
Telephone: 0733 600 584 / 0722 205 492 / 0722 205 491
International Hotel and Tourism Institute(IHTI)
If you’re passionate about learning how to cook because you dream of creating your own thriving business out of it, you can also consider joining IHTI.
Their catering courses are customized to help you develop a broad, flexible skillset that will unlock an ocean of career opportunities for you.
Their courses include:
- Certificate in Food & Beverage Operations – 1 year course.
- Diploma in Food/Beverage Management- 2 year course.
- BTEC HND (Higher National Diploma) in Culinary Arts- 2 year course.
- BTEC HND (Higher National Diploma) in Hospitality Management (International) – 3 year course.
International Hotel & Tourism Institute contacts
Contact them using the details below to learn more about their popular culinary arts course, fees, minimum qualifications, and their next intake.
Location: Kileleshwa, Nyeri Road
Telephone: 0728 787 088
Boma International Hospitality College
Kenya Red Cross-run Boma International Hospitality college is one of the best catering schools in Kenya offering internationally accredited programs.
You can, therefore, join Boma College for a Swiss-accredited program in Culinary Arts & Hotel Management- they teach the course in partnership with Switzerland’s Business and Hotel Management School, located in Lucerne.
You’ll get excellent exposure since you take your internship at some of Kenya’s leading International hotel/ restaurant brands.
The entry requirements are not that high too- some courses need just a Mean grade of D+ in KCSE (their website has the full details).
The only downside is the fee- here you pay over Kshs.400000/- per year as tuition fee.
Boma International Hospitality college contacts
Location: Red Cross Road, Nairobi (Off Mombasa Road)
Telephone: 0719050540 /0719050550
Qualification for catering courses in Kenya / catering courses requirements
In general, the minimum grade you need to have to join most of the best catering schools in Kenya is a D plain (this qualifies you for a certificate course).
And the good news is that there are hundreds of colleges offering KNEC certificate in catering and hotel management in Kenya (both private and public) so you are spoilt for choice.
In fact, there should be a college you can enroll in near you.
For instance, those in Nakuru may enroll in Nakuru Training Institute (call 0736 433148).
Here are some more colleges to consider countrywide (there are many others):
- Thika-Hemland College and Cascade Institute
- Nyeri-Nyeri National Polytechnical and Mathenge Technical Training Institute
- Eldoret– Eldoret Technical Training Institute
- Kisumu- Kisumu National Poly
- Kisii- Kisii National Polytechnic
- Kakamega- Sigalagala National Polytechnic
- Bungoma- Sheraton Catering College
- Meru– MIBS College or Meru National Poly.
- Mombasa- Rifkins College, ICS College, Marianist Technical Institute, Mombasa Aviation College
Of course, students with a C minus can join the course at the Diploma level directly in most of these institutions.
Short catering courses in Nairobi
If you’re in Nairobi and you want to venture into catering as a side hustle, you can consider the following catering trainers:
- Kasarani Catering College- One of the oldest. Visit them online
- International Hotel and Tourism Institute(IHTI)- They have great catering short courses too.
- Valentine school of catering Nairobi – Inbox them on Facebook or call 0725063286
- Jasmine school of catering Nairobi – Call 0732 370000
Catering courses fees
There is no standard fee and the amount you pay depends on where you’re taking the course.
That said, the range is between shs.9000 per term to over shs. 400000 per year (top notch institutions such as Boma can be quite pricey).
The most important thing to remember is that studying in public TVET colleges is by far cheaper because your fee is reduced by the government capitation (if you apply through KUCCPS).
Plus, deserving students are advanced study loans by HELB (Higher Education Loans Board) further easing your financial burden.
More about Catering and Food and Beverage careers
Professional in the catering, food, and beverage industries specialize in meals, snacks and beverage prepared in restaurants, cafeterias, food stalls, hospitals or school for immediate consumption.
Catering services describe the activities of providing foods and beverages in social gatherings and events such as weddings, parties and fund raisers (don’t forget these are the guys who feed you during social events).
Key skills and interests required to pursue a career in this field
- Interpersonal skills
- High level of personal hygiene
- Flexible and reliable
- Creative observant and attentive
- Good memory
- Willing to work odd hours
- Effective communication skills
- Planning .and organization skills
What the job/career/professional entails
Functions in a catering, food and beverage establishment include the following:-
- Offering customer service
- Preparing food and beverage
- Cleaning duties and restaurant
- Coordinating the delivery preparation and presentation for food and beverage to clients.
- At the management level, the duties include the following:-
- Hiring and training and staffs
- Purchasing stocks and supplies
- Training staffs on proper food preparation
- Ensuring that health standard are maintained
- Creating the best services experience for customer
At the management level, the duties include the following:
- Hiring and training of staffs
- Purchasing stocks and supplies
- Training staffs on proper food preparation
- Ensuring that health standards are maintained
- Create the best service experience for customers.
General catering courses qualifications
|Catering and Hotel Management
Food operation management
Institutional, catering and Accommodation
2. MAT (C Plain)
3. Best in Group II or III
4. Best in Group II/III/IV/V
|Diploma||Food and Beverage
Catering and accommodation management
| Mean Grade (C-)
|Certificate||Food Preparation and culinary Arts
Food and Beverage Production
Sales and services
Mean Grade (D Plain)
|Artisan and NVCET||Food and Beverage production and beverage and service
Catering and accommodation
Mean Grade (E)
Career Prospects for those who hold a Catering, Food and Beverage qualification
Artisan qualification holders
- Assistant Chef
- Kitchen porter
- Chef, Waiter
- Event planner
- Counter service Assistant
- Head chef
- Head of food production
- Restaurant manager
- Food and Beverage manager
- Banquet Manager
- Catering manager
Best catering schools in Kenya – frequently asked questions
What is the qualification for catering?
As indicated previously, a D plain (KCSE mean grade) is accepted for a certificate in catering course and a C- KCSE mean grade for a diploma in catering course.
Where can I study culinary arts in Kenya?
Boma International Hospitality College and International Hotel and Tourism Institute(IHTI) are the two most popular institutions to study culinary arts in locally.
How many years does it take to study catering?
The certificate takes 2 years on average while, in general, it takes 3 years for one to complete a diploma course in catering.
PS: Don’t forget to like our FaceBook page here for more educational/career tips and guides