So, is hospitality management marketable in Kenya?
Read it to the last word if you have been wondering if it’s a good course…
Is hospitality management marketable in Kenya? / Is hospitality management in demand? / Is hospitality a good course?
Overall, hospitality management is another of the courses I like to refer to as 50-50 (or tricky courses)..
That is, while it can be a prestigious course (remember you will be working as a Manager of hospitality establishments like hotels and resorts), it seems (from my research) that there is a significant number of unemployed hospitality management graduates in Kenya so there is crazy competition for jobs.
That being so, I would recommend that you take your time to weigh your options before you register for a hospitality management course in Kenya.
You can, for example, take a technical course (there are some good technical courses you can take even with grade D like the ones in this article) because with a technical course, you can look for a job or start your own business.
And if your dream is to work in the hospitality industry, there are courses that could have a better chance when it comes to the availability of jobs in the sector including a Culinary degree/diploma (this is a good course for those who’d like to work as an executive chef).
Now that I have answered the question “is hospitality management marketable in Kenya?”, let’s not turn our attention to other important information about hospitality management courses in Kenya..
What is Hospitality, Tourism, and Hotel Management all about?
If you’re not aware of what the course is all about, here is what you need to know:
Overall, professionals in the hotel management and tourism industry cater for tourists, both local and international.
Essentially, they create enjoyable experiences for tourists/travellers who travel for business or leisure/vacation.
But to be specific, hotel management focuses on all operations undertaken in a hotel, which include coordinating human resources, housekeeping, and ensuring security.
You will also be ensuring the smooth running of other related functions such as public relations, food service and production, sales, and even the management of finances.
Key skills and interests required to pursue a career in the Hospitality Management field
- Passionate about the food industry
- You must be self-confident
- You must be friendly in nature (you need to be approachable)
- Adventurous; that is, not afraid to try new things or to experience new cultures
- Collaboration skills/ Team spirit
- Good planning skills and organization skills
- Ability to rise to challenges
- Awesome interpersonal skills
- You must be adaptable / flexible
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Excellent leadership skills
What the job / career / profession entails
The function varies with the institutions that hire holders of hospitality management qualifications, which include hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, amusement parks, game reserves, country clubs, tourists information and resources centers, and convention centers.
But on the whole, here are some of the duties and responsibilities you will be expected to perform on a day-to-day basis:
- Ensuring there is sales growth and that profitability targets are met as planned in your establishment
- In connection with the above, ensuring there is a vibrant sales/marketing strategy and that the sales team is motivated and working hard to meet targets.
- Overseeing overall business budget including monitoring the departmental budgets and targets
- Increasing productivity by making sure there is maximum utilization of the resources
- Coordinating events and other activities to ensure all operations run smoothly
- Ensuring the image of the business is maintained positively
- Ensuring just and fair treatment of staff
- Carrying out inspection of the facility to ensure the set standards are effectively maintained
- Ensuring a safe/conducive environment (for employees/clients/visitors)
- Coordinating reporting and communication within the establishment.
- Ensuring compliance with all legal as well as regulatory requirements including set corporate governance practices.
In a nutshell, you will be the head of the hotel/resort/institution you’re working for so hospitality management can lead you to a very senior job in a 5-star hotel.
Entry Requirements for hospitality Management courses in Kenya
Degree in hospitality Management
KCSE Mean Grade: C+
You also need to have a C+ (or above) in any two(2) of these subjects: Mathematics, chemistry, home science, biology, business, agriculture, computer science, and geography.
Someone with a diploma in a related area from a reputable college/university can be accepted into the program.
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Hotel and Hospitality Management
- Eco-Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Travel and Tours Operations Management
- International Tourism Management
- Tourism Management
- Hospitality Management
- Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Travel and Tourism Management
- Hotel and Hospitality Management
Universities offering Hospitality Management in Kenya
Here are some of the universities you can apply to if you want to pursue a degree in hospitality management in Kenya:
|Alupe University College||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|Dedan Kimathi University||Bachelor Of Sustainable Tourism& Hospitality Management|
|Egerton University||Bachelor Of Science(Ecotourism& Hospitality Management)|
|Gretsa University||Bachelor Of Science(Bsc.) In Hospitality Management|
|Kabarak University||Bachelor Of Science(Bsc.) In Hospitality Management|
|Karatina University||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|Methodist University||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality& Tourism Management)|
|Kisii University||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|Ku||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality& Tourism Management)|
|Machakos University||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality& Tourism Management)|
|Mt Kenya University||Bachelor Of Science(Bsc.) In Hospitality Management|
|Maasai Mara University||Bachelor Of Hotels& Hospitality Management|
|Masinde Muliro University Of Science& Technology||Bachelor Of Hospitality& Institutional Management|
|Kenyatta University-Mama Ngina University College||Bachelor Of Science (Hospitality And Tourism Management)|
|Moi University||Bachelor Of Hotels& Hospitality Management|
|Meru University||Bachelor Of Science In Hospitality& Tourism Management|
|Muranga University Of Technology||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality Management)|
|Pwani University||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality& Tourism Management)|
|Puea-Presybetyrian University||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality& Tourism Management)|
|Rongo University||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|Scott Christian University||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|Tom Mboya University College||Bachelor Of Science(Eco-Tourism, Hotel& Institution Management,With IT)|
|Technical University Of Kenya||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality Management)|
|University Of Eldoret||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|University Of Kabianga||Bachelor Of Hotel& Hospitality Management|
|Zetech University||Bachelor Of Science(Hospitality& Tourism Management)|
Diploma in Hospitality Management in Kenya
KCSE Mean Grade: C-
Additional requirements: None
Certificate in Hospitality Management in Kenya
KCSE Mean Grade: D plain
Additional requirements: None
Colleges offering Hospitality Management in Kenya (Diploma and/or Certificate)
Below are some of the government-sponsored colleges you may check out if you want to take either a Certificate or a Diploma in Hospitality Management first:
|Name of institution||Programme|
|Godoma Technical Training Institute||Diploma In Tourism& Hospitality Management|
|Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute||Diploma In Tourism& Hospitality Management|
|Masai Technical Training Institute||Diploma In Tourism& Hospitality Management|
|Masai Technical Training Institute||Diploma In Travel,Tourism& Hospitality|
|Matili Technical Training Institute||Diploma in Hospitality Management|
|Wote Technical Training Institute||Diploma In Tourism& Hospitality Management|
Career Prospects for holders of Hospitality Management courses in Kenya
- Hotel Manager
- Hotel Supervisor
- Restaurant Manager
- Operations Manager
- Quality Manager-Hotel Industry
- Hotel Operations Manager
- Front Office Supervisor
- Hotel Sales And Administration
- Housekeeping Manager
- Hotel Marketing Specialist
- Training Manager
PS: Remember you can apply for these courses through KUCCPS portal if you did your KCSE in the last sitting and learn under government sponsorship or directly to the institution, for anyone else(In this case you will be self-sponsored).