So, can you take a certificate in nursing if you did not meet the minimum requirements to pursue a Diploma or a Degree in Nursing?
The answer is Yes! So, what are the requirements to do nursing at KMTC?
Well, here are the minimum requirements to do certificate in nursing in Kenya (KMTC):
Certificate in nursing KMTC requirements
Mean Grade at KCSE: C- (Minus)
Mandatory subjects and needed grades:
- English or Kiswahili: C (Minus)
- Biology or Biological Sciences: C (Minus)
In addition, you must have scored a D+ (plus) grade in one of these subjects:
- Physics/Physical Sciences
The good thing is that you can upgrade your certificate in Community Health Nursing(KECN) course to a Diploma in Community Health Nursing(Upgrading programme) after completion.
Don’t forget that you will need to apply for registration with the NCK(Nursing Council of Kenya) after completing the course- you cannot be allowed to practice/upgrade without Registration by the NCK.
How long does the Certificate in Community Health Nursing Course at KMTC Take?
Unlike other KMTC certificate courses, the certificate in nursing course takes 2 1/2 years to complete.
Which KMTC offers certificate in nursing?
Quite a number of KMTC Campuses offer certificate in nursing (preservice).
Here is a few of these campuses:
- KMTC Garissa Campus
- KMTC Nairobi
- KMTC Kisumu
Remember you are free to contact KMTC directly if you want to know if a certain campus offers the course.
Below is a list of all KMTC campuses in case you want to enquire (I will give you their contacts later in this article):
- Lake Victoria
- Port Reitz
- Tana River
Note: Be ready to pursue your course (if successful) in any region of this country as KMTC has campuses all over Kenya.
Fee structure for certificate in community health nursing
The annual fee for the Certificate in community health Nursing at KMTC is currently about Ksh 80,000 (excluding living and accommodation expenses).
Keep in mind that the certificate in nursing course is offered under self-sponsorship category.
How to apply for nursing in KMTC?
All applications are made online.
You should wait for the advertisement.
I should add that normally there are two intakes in a year in March & September so there are two advertisements.
Note that the adverts are published in newspapers, TV stations, and on KMTC website.
Once the ad is our, you should follow these steps to apply:
- Go to the KMTC application portal https://admissions.kmtc.ac.ke/public/index.php/login
- Click on register (on the top-right corner of the page)
- Enter your NAME, EMAIL, PASSWORD (Create a good password) and RETYPE the password.
- Click Register.
- Next, fill in all the personal information asked for in the account creation form/tab that opens.
- Click next after entering everything- this takes you to the Contact Here you type your postal and phone contact details.
- Again click next. A space to fill Next of Kin information now opens. Proceed to enter your Parent/Kin name and also specify how you’re related to Click Submit when done.
- Next, click on enter Subject scores (the requirement to upload documents has been removed temporarily) and fill in your grades for the subjects you did correctly (select “I didn’t do” for subjects you did not do).
- Now click on Make Application– start by selecting the Level (Certificate), Academic Year (choose this academic year), and Intake (March/Sept). Click Next.
- Finally select the course (Certificate in Community Health Nursing) in the space provided after clicking Next. Click Submit. (NB: If you don’t see the course in the list displayed, it means you have not met the requirements fully!)
A message alerting you that you have applied for 1 course will appear. You can Skip option 2 (or choose a second course as explained in the previous step).
Now a summary confirming you have applied for the Certificate in Community Health Nursing (preservice) will appear on the screen.
Click Submit and then Yes (when asked if you want to confirm).
Paying the Application fee to KMTC
The final step is paying. Follow the procedure displayed on the screen to pay (be sure to type the account no. correctly).
Finally, click Submit Application.
Wait a few minutes then refresh the page to have the payment reflect.
Click Confirm again.
- All applicants should check that their application is correctly done to avoid missing out on the opportunity due to an incomplete application.
- Be sure to pay to the given account number(usually it is your National ID No./Birth Certificate No.) as typed during registration.
- You must keep checking your email frequently since KMTC sends you updates about your application via the email you gave.
Certificate in nursing KMTC requirements- How to contact KMTC
You can reach out to KMTC for more information using the following contacts:
Call: 020-2725711/2/3/4, 020-2081822/3 0737-352543 or 0706-541869
Social media: @KMTC_official (Twitter) or @KMTCofficial (Facebook)
Certificate in nursing KMTC requirements – Other Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Does KMTC offer certificate in nursing?
Yes. KMTC offers a certificate course in Community Health Nursing(KECN)- this is a great option for those who did not meet diploma in nursing KMTC requirements.