The KMTC (Kenya Medical Training College) has collaborated with Beyond Zero, an initiative of the first lay Mrs Margaret Kenyatta to sponsor deserving students for a course in ECHN(Enrolled Community Health Nursing)- Certificate level.
Beyond zero nursing sponsorship in Kenya: All you need to know
The sponsorship programme has been running for several academic years and usually targets qualified and needy candidates from several selected Arid & Semi-Arid (ASAL) counties including Kilifi, Isiolo, Garissa, Kajiado, etc.
The beyond zero scholarship programme also funds underserved Minorities plus all other Vulnerable & Marginalized Groups (VMGs) that are willing to serve their respective communities upon graduation.
Tip: You can download the guidelines showing which groups are considered VMGs in Kenya according to the MOH (Ministry of Health) from the ministry’s website here
KMTC campuses offering certificate in nursing (Community Health Nursing) under Beyond zero nursing sponsorship
At the moment, beneficiaries pursue the specially-tailored certificate course (the purpose of the course is to boost maternal and child health in several remote counties) in these KMTC campuses:
You must have attained the following minimum entry grades to be sponsored for the Enrolled Certificate in CHN:
Mean Grade at KCSE: C- or its equivalent
Other qualifications: C- grade (at least) in English/Kiswahili, C- (minus) in Biology, and at least a D+ in either Mathematics, Chemistry, or Physics
How to apply for the Beyond zero nursing sponsorship
Qualified applicants must attach a hand-written essay of maximum 200 (two hundred) words explaining convincingly why they deserve this scholarship and the contributions they plan to make to their communities upon graduation.
So your first step is preparing the essay.
Next, go to KMTC website and create an account. You must have a valid personal e-mail address before proceeding.
Now follow these steps:
- Visit KMTC website kmtc.ac.ke
- On the menu, proceed to click on ADMISSION PORTAL. This takes you to the online KMTC registration portal.
- Click on Have no account?- Register option (Otherwise, just login with your usual details if you already have a valid account).
- To create the account; Type your email and desired password on the create account form that opens after the above step.
- Click on the Create Account Button
- Now Fill the application form online step-by-step until you have filled in everything.
- After this, click on Application (On the left tab) then click ’Apply Preservice’
- Enter your exact subject grades as printed in your KCSE result slip. For subjects you did not do, choose the “I didn’t do”
- When done entering the grades (per subject), click SUBMIT
- Next, upload all your certificates starting with the KCSE one, your Leaving certificate and the ID (both sides) or your birth certificate.
- Now the documents you have just uploaded will be displayed. Proceed to click on Submit against each document. This will effectively submit all your documents online.
- Under Select Level, choose Beyond Zero Scholarship option then select the relevant Academic calendar e.g. 2020/2021 and finally under intake, choose March Intake (or the intake month specified by the advertisement) – as mentioned, remember you can only apply after the advertisement has been published.
- You will now be redirected to the Beyond-Zero Application form. Fill in your parents information, education background, and finally tribe then click Save Info.
- Your duly filled form is now presented to you. Confirm that every detail is accurate and if satisfied, click “print form’’.
- Your duly completed form is printed. Take it, have it stamped and signed accordingly, then attach all the relevant documents as well as the essay, and send the envelope to:
The CEO (Chief Executive Officer),
KMTC (Kenya Medical Training College)
P.O. Box 30195 Nairobi – 00100
Note that the applications are to be sent by a given deadline (these dates are normally announced in the ad which is published in media and the KMTC website so you should regularly check the two).
How long does the course take?
Successful beneficiaries study at KMTC for 2 ½ years and receives a full study scholarship for the entire duration of their course.
What else should you know?
Even though male candidates also get sponsored, Beyond Zero strongly encourages Female students to apply.
2 thoughts on “Beyond zero nursing sponsorship in Kenya: All you need to know”
thanks Mr john. this is great
Thank you for reading Bramsy