We answer the question “Is procurement and logistics marketable in Kenya?” in this article
So, is procurement and logistics marketable in Kenya?
Well, here is what you know about the course in Kenya- read this to the end..
Is procurement and logistics marketable in Kenya? / Is procurement marketable in Kenya? /Is supply chain management marketable in Kenya?
Well, while a few years ago the course was super marketable, nowadays things have changed and the course does not have many job opportunities.
In fact, there is a significant number of holders of procurement and supply chain management course seeking jobs out there because jobs have not been hard to come by recently
And that has probably been caused by the following:
Contrary to what some of you believe, organizations do not employ a large number of procurement and logistics professionals because the purchasing department is not always super busy (Don’t forget that the work of procurement officers is to coordinate the purchasing function in an organization).
In other words, one or two staff are often enough when it comes to coordinating the acquisition of supplies and consumables in most companies/businesses.
Worse still, only large firms hire purchasing and supplies personnel…for the most part, small businesses cannot afford to have one– and the role is typically performed by the owner.
You can even try to research around your town and see how many businesses employ a supply chain management officer …It’s clear that there are not many big-enough businesses in Kenya to absorb the many students graduating with procurement and logistics course in Kenya every year.
Then- and as I have pointed out above- the course is fairly flooded…I often see graduates of Procurement/Supply chain management and Logistics course apply for non-related jobs after growing tired of waiting for relevant openings.
And that means the competition for the handful of available jobs is insane.
To cut the long story short, Procurement, Supplies, and Logistics is not a very marketable course in Kenya and perhaps you should consider taking a different course if you (or someone from your family/friends) do not have the right connections.
Otherwise, since these days even those doing some engineering disciplines have a hard time getting a job(if not for connections), think of paths you can pursue after getting the degree,.
A good example is entrepreneurial routes- you can venture into areas such as procurement consulting….yeah, it will be tough at the beginning because nobody knows you but over time, organizations facing procurement challenges or those that can’t employ procurement pros full time will start giving you consulting contracts.
📣 Hey there! Are you looking for the best courses, top colleges and universities, career guidance, and exciting scholarship opportunities in Kenya? Look no further! Join our Facebook page to stay up-to-date with all the latest information and insights on these topics.
So Please follow Kenya Education Guide on Facebook here for more updates about best courses in Kenya, best colleges and Universities in Kenya, Career choice options, Scholarships in Kenya, etc
Now proceed reading below..👇
What is Procurement course all about?
Procurement management refers to the process of buying goods and services for a company/business.
On the other hand, logistics is all about coordinating how goods and services are produced, sourced, ordered, handled, packaged, recorded, transported, delivered, stored, and secured to avoid damage or theft.
Now, the highest position you can rise to with the course is a procurement manager- and his/her work is to ensure that the flow of goods and services in and out of the organization is carried out effectively and efficiently.
Key skills and interests required to pursue a career in this field
- Entrepreneurial and innovative spirit
- Number/data-driven (mathematical skills)
- Planning skills
- Organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good decision–making skills
- Analytical skills
- Customer focus
- Accountability and transparency (High level integrity is needed)
- Excellent persuasion skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Team spirit (ability to work in a team)
- Ability to pay attention to detail
What the job/career/profession entails
The main duties in procurement, supplies, and logistics involve the following:
- Identifying suppliers of goods and services based on price, quality, and delivery speed;
- Negotiating and writing agreements with suppliers regarding when the products will be delivered; and
- Maintaining and reviewing records of items on the following: quantities, costs, deliveries, product performance, storage, management, and requisitions.
Requirements to do procurement course in Kenya
- Procurement and Contract Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Procurement and Logistics Management
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
Minimum entry requirements
KCSE Aggregate grade: C+
- Best subject in Group II/III
- Best subject in Group II/III/IV/V
Requirements for diploma in procurement and supply chain /diploma of procurement and logistics / Diploma in procurement and supplies management / Diploma in procurement and supply chain management
Here now are the requirements to do diploma in procurement and supply chain management in Kenya:
KCSE Mean Grade: C-
- Road Transport Management
- Supply Chain management Shipping.
- Logistic and Transport Management
- Procurement and material management
- Air Cargo Management
Certificate in procurement
KCSE Mean Grade: D plain
- Purchasing and supply Management
- Transport Management
- Freight Management
Artisan in procurement
KCSE Mean Grade: E
- Store keeping
Career Prospects in procurement , Supplies, and Logistics
- Store assistant
- Store keeper
- Office assistant
Diploma in procurement
- Store supervisor
- Freight operator
- Dispatch Officer
- Clearing and Forwarding officer
- Supplier chain Officer
- Logistics officer
- Quality Assurance Officer
- Procurement officer
- Freight Officer
- Fleet coordinator
- Clearing and Forwarding Coordinator
Is procurement course marketable in Kenya? / Is procurement course marketable in Kenya? (Recap)
Well, while a few years ago the course was super marketable, these days things have changed and the course does not have as many job opportunities as then.
And so if you have to do it, it is important that you have a good plan in order to get a job without tarmacking for long.
Universities and Colleges offering procurement in Kenya
Here now are some of the institutions offering procurement course in Kenya (various levels)
- Africa Nazarene University
- Co-operative University
- Chuka University
- Dedan Kimathi University
- Egerton University
- Jaramogi Oginda Odinga University of Science& Technology
- Kabarak University
- KCA University
- Kenya Highlands Evangelical University
- Kisii University
- Kirinyaga University
- Mt Kenya University
- Multi-Media University
- Maseno University
- Meru University of Science &Technology
- Muranga University of Technology
- SouthEastern Kenya University
- Tharaka University College
- Taita Taveta University
- Technical University of Mombasa
- University Of Embu
- Zetech University
- Kieni Technical and Vocational College – Call 0791 917471
- Muraga Technical and Vocational College – Call 0799 519 946/ 0113175113
- Kenya institute of Management – Call 0722 200864
Is project management marketable in Kenya?